AM: Ad/Store rates- marketplaceMCI responds

To:     "'Ad-marketing'" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: Ad/Store rates- marketplaceMCI responds
From:     Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:25:32 -0400

Ad-marketers-

A member of the (now defunct) marketplaceMCI team
wanted to send in a comment, Re: Amy's Ad/Store rates
questions-

tks-
____________________________________
Mitch Arnowitz mailto:marnowitz@morino.org

<snip>
> Subject:        AM: Ad/Store rates

> Here are some details and related questions for you:

> 1. One vendor I have asked to be in the store is willing to give me all
> their graphics and goodies for the storefront and in return, VA will get
> 12% of each sale.  Since the site is new (well, not even live yet) we
> will also get the extra benefit of having their good name on our site.
> Intially, if vendors have the material to give VA then I see only asking
> for a small set up charge for time. But, if  VA has to do all the set up
> and design for another vendor, then I will charge and have a fee for
> that based on design & programming.

> So far it seems easy.  But, would you suggest a monthly leasing fee as
> well? What about the first vendors who are willing to risk with me?
> Initially, I was going to charge $500 per month to lease the space but
> am beginning to think that maybe for now the commission on sales should
> suffice.  Thoughts?

I was part of the marketplaceMCI team.  I would have to understand a
definition of space to answer the question thoroughly. Set-up time can
be extraordinary if you do not have a machine in place to manage the content
process, this was usually the greatest resource hog and most underestimated
expense. We charged design, set-up and monthly fees and usually a percentage
of sales. I would not want to bet on sales without covering the costly side of
the equation.