AM: Web advertising justification

To:     ad-market@netpreneur.org
Subject:     AM: Web advertising justification
From:     Angela Morris <amorris@calltec.com>
Date:     Fri, 5 Jun 1998 16:24:38 -0400

My company develops software for the telecommunications market and we are
currently trying to plan a marketing budget for the next twelve months.
Recently, I gave a presentation to upper level management to justify the
line item for an on-line campaign.

We are young and growing rapidly and have a little money to spend on
promotion. We're in the process of formulating an integrated marketing
communications plan that includes traditional promotional vehicles, but
we're also trying to get a handle on the potential value of web advertising.

We recently had a brief run on a specialized Pointcast channel (Telecom
Insider) that's targeted to our industry, and we know that our hit and
click-thru rates have increased. We feel the increase is due to a
combination of Pointcast and just the fact that we are publicizing the site
more. Pointcast has sent us some charts and statistics on our ad hits, but
they are not overly impressive and I have nothing to compare them to.

Upper level management asked us to justify the money spent for the on-line
portion of the campaign. Numbers were supplied were by the vendor. Although
the numbers supported the vendor's case, they did not necessarily support
mine.

I have a few questions for the group. What metrics have people used to point
to and justify an on-line advertising program's success? Do any of you have
on-going web advertising programs?  How do you balance the rest of your
marketing mix with web advertising i.e. what percentage of your marketing
budget might be allocated for web advertising? How do you measure the value
of web advertising?

Generally speaking, how  do you measure the value of web advertising and
what you would do differently if you could?  Do you have a short experience
(good, bad or indifferent) with web advertising?

Thank you. I look forward to your responses!

Angela Morris
Call Technologies, Inc.
11490 Commerce Park Drive
Reston, VA 20191