AM: RE: Web advertising justification

To:     "Angela Morris" <amorris@calltec.com>, <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: RE: Web advertising justification
From:     "Patrick Fitzgerald" <fitzgerald@cks.com>
Date:     Sun, 7 Jun 1998 22:11:19 -0400

As an "online ad agency," our company spends a good deal of time figuring
out what metrics to apply to online campaigns. While each campaign varies,
we typically set goals at the outset for a) awareness and b) direct
response.

Although most people focus on the direct response component, one shouldn't
overlook the Web's ability for awareness building for both brand and product
(see last year's  IAB/MB Interactive study on online advertising). For a
young company this awareness building can be hugely important. Pointcast ads
are one of the better vehicles for awareness building because of their
TV-like nature, which due to their passive nature do not encourage high
click-thrus, but do serve to build frequency of message. Unfortunately,
actually measuring "awareness levels" of online ads or the ads' contribution
to awareness is a costly undertaking (but I'm sure many a marketing research
company would be glad to undertake it).

More easily measured are direct response objectives. These objectives go
beyond click-thru to:

--Form completion (lead generation)
--Requests for information
--Product trial
--Sales

Using these objectives, you can use metrics such as cost per lead, cost per
sale, completion rates, and number of leads generated. To determine their
effectiveness, these metrics should be compared to off-line programs like
cost for direct mail or cost to hold a seminar. While online channels can
offer a more cost effective means of acquiring leads you must also examine
the *quality* of those leads. Because a customer has to be more engaged to
mail-in a form or attend a seminar you may get a higher close rate on for
these channels.

In developing these metrics, you should also consider the creative content
and placement of the online ads. The "call to action" and "offer" greatly
influence click-thru's and ultimately conversion for online ads. The viewer
needs to derive or perceive some value from clicking on the banner and then
completing a form. In addition, the user should have a clear path and
understandable instructions once they've clicked on a banner. Simply
delivering a user to the homepage and then leaving it up to him to figure it
out will result in a much higher "bail out rate."

Placement of the ad also affects click-thru. While placement obviously helps
target the ad to the appropriate person, it must also be placed in context.
Is the customer in the frame of mind to take action on my banner/call to
action? This is why banners placed within categories on search engines
usually yield higher click-thru rates than those placed in general rotation
(although a banner in general rotation will reach more eyeballs).

Hope this helps.