AM: Email list content dilemma

To:     ad-market@netpreneur.org
Subject:     AM: Email list content dilemma
From:     Brian Alpert <balpert@telogy.com>
Date:     Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:03:39 -0500

All --

I'm on the verge of launching an email list to further my
company's marketing goals (Telogy Networks, Inc.), and
wanted to toss out a few ideas for feedback/discussion.
Up front, I very much appreciate any time taken; I know
how busy everyone is.

Telogy is an 'embedded software' company. It is esoteric,
Voice over IP-related stuff, sold to manufacturers
of network gear. Our products have gotten good coverage and
our customer list likewise has good names attached.

The email list is permission-based, and will start small.
I'm estimating about 100 names.

The list's goals are:
- to help establish Telogy as a leader
- increased visibility of the company/product name
- promote useful feedback from participants
- get leads/promote sales

Our sales prospects are product/equipment managers:
Sr. Mgrs. and up. The ultimate demographic for our
list is healthy portions of those folks and the engineers
that design these wonderful boxes.

The engineers are the ones who make technology recommendations
to mgt., so they're related to the sale.

Situation: most of those who've registered for the list are
engineers. They are certainly welcome, but we haven't so far
attracted half of our true prospects, the half that makes
buying decisions.

The groups have different content needs. The engineers are
interested in technical product info, release notes, schedules,
etc.

The managers are more concerned with business market issues:
time to market, "build-in-house" vs. "buy-from-vendors,"
their own product strengths/weaknesses.

My quandary: I want to keep the engineers interested, but
also want to attract the managers. If it is all marketing/business
the engineers will leave in a swarm. If it is all-tech,
the managers won't care.

However, I think it is true that issues applying to one group
are relevant to the other, would like to capitalize on that,
and also would like to avoid maintaining multiple lists.

Given the limited attention these tools get, do you think it
is viable to attempt to serve-up a content mix that appeals
to both audiences?

Do you see risks in trying that? One that comes to mind
is, if the list is perceived to lack focus or a coherent
identity it may not be interesting to anyone.

What specific content-related steps might I take to avoid
that?

Do you have general content-related recommendations for
starting such a list?

In advance, thanks again--

--Brian Alpert
Manager Internet Marketing